Monday 13 February 2012

Nothing says 'I love you mum' like a croquembouche and a fat lip


My friend Lowri is one of the best bakers I know.. so I knew filming her was going to be a treat. She allowed me exclusive access into her kitchen to shoot her making her mum a birthday croquembouche.
Trying to squeeze six hours of footage into three minutes was tough... but worth it. Was amazing to edit... but even better than that - I got to eat the left-over cream filling for the choux buns! In your face Gwern! (Lowri's other half)
No croquembouche comes without sacrifice though.. or rather.. third degree burns. Lowri got a burnt lip (which turned into a fat lip) trying to taste scorching caramel). A week later when I also made a croquembouche (after taking inspiration from Miss Lowri Jones!), I also burnt myself four times on my arm and fingers.. 


WARNING: hot caramel may look tasty - but it burns and rips your skin off a treat.


Recipes:
Choux pastry and caramel: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/croquembouche
The crème patissière: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/607376


Music: 'La vie en rose' by Edith Piaf
my attempt (ok but burnt the caramel slightly):







2 comments:

  1. ooh la la this is amazing suma and lowri what a clip ;-) very seductive, very clever, and very fwench! puts my baking skills to shame tho...fancy coming up to scotland to film me attempting to make a deep-fried mars bar then? we could have mogwai as the soundtrack! fun times! llinos x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a flippin nice thing to say! Thanks Llinos!
    Love the name, very Welsh-ghetto-chic.

    Suma xx

    ReplyDelete